Help & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What is the NIH Public Access Policy? The NIH maintains a web page with information relating to the Public Access Policy.
- Do you have questions about the submission process? Refer to the NIHMS FAQ. Illustrated submission tutorials are also available.
- Publishers may find information on how to submit on behalf of authors as well as other concerns in the Publisher FAQ.
- The NIHMS also maintains a help desk to assist users with manuscript submissions, and answer any questions related to the submission process. Contact the help desk with your queries.
- Email questions and comments regarding the NIH Public Access Policy to PublicAccess@nih.gov.
NIHMS System Slide Show Help
The NIHMS System Slide Shows demonstrate how to perform various actions in a step-by-step fashion and are illustrated with screen captures.
There are three versions available for each help topic: a hyperlinked HTML display, a QuickTime movie, and a PDF file.
Submission Help for Principal Investigators (PI)
- How do I submit a manuscript from a journal that does not participate in PubMed Central (PMC)?*
- How do I approve the PDF Receipt when someone else submitted a manuscript on my behalf?
- How do I review and approve the Web version of my manuscript?
Submission Help for Non-PI Submitters
- How do I submit a manuscript for a PI from a journal that does not participate in PMC?*
* PMC-participating journals provide the final published article to the NIH. Authors that publish in these journals do not need to submit articles to NIH via NIHMS.
Miscellaneous Help Items
- Grant Assistance: How do I search for grants and projects in the NIHMS System database?
- Adding grants: How do I Add Grants when a publisher submits the manuscript?
I need help entering the NIHMS System using the:
- eRA login (for NIH Extramural principal investigators, grantees, or applicants)
- NIH login (for Intramural NIH scientists and staff)
- My NCBI login (for third party submitters)
- Publisher login (for Publishers that have registered for an NIHMS Publisher Login account)