How do I submit a manuscript?
To start a new submission, click on the Submit New Manuscript button.
How can I search for manuscripts already in the NIHMS system?
To locate and view the details of a record associated with your account, you may search by NIHMSID (or—for publishers only—Publisher ID), PubMed ID (if the PubMed record has been associated with an NIHMS record), or PMCID.
Alternatively, if you have a ticket number from a review notification email, you may enter it into the search field under "Have a ticket number?" on the left side of your manuscript list.
For assistance with records not associated with your account, please contact the Help Desk.
Why don't I see my manuscript?
It is important that you log in to the NIHMS system using the same login route and username each time. The system links a record to the account by which you last accessed it; therefore, submissions made via Account A may not be accessible via Account B—even if both accounts belong to the same user. If you have signed in using the same login route and username as you did before but still do not see your manuscript, please contact the Help Desk for assistance.
If this is your first time accessing the manuscript submission, please be sure to either use the access link that was provided in your review notification email or input the ticket number into the search field under "Have a ticket number?" on the left side of your manuscript list.
By what filters may I sort my manuscripts?
- Needs Your Attention – NIHMS submissions currently requiring your action.
- In Process – NIHMS submissions with which you are associated that are currently being acted on by someone else (e.g., the designated Reviewer, Submitter, or NIHMS staff).
- Available to Claim – NIHMS submissions with which you are associated that have been awaiting action by the Reviewer for 4 weeks or longer. If you are an author or PI on the submission, you may take over Reviewer duties and move the submission forward.
- Awaiting Citation Data – NIHMS submissions with which you are associated that are not yet linked to a PubMed record with final citation information.
- Under Embargo – NIHMS submissions with which you are associated that have undergone final approval by the Reviewer and are awaiting release to PMC following the specified embargo period.
- Available in PMC – NIHMS submissions with which you are associated that are currently available to the public via PubMed Central.
What does the Status of a manuscript record mean?
See the Glossary for explanations of the different manuscript statuses.